We welcome candidates interested in pursuing a Ph.D in computer science in the ML group at KU Leuven! The ML group (Maurice Bruynooghe, Luc De Raedt, Hendrik Blockeel, Jan Ramon and Jesse Davis) makes acceptance decisions for Ph.D applications jointly. This Web page contains information that should help guide you through the application process.
What We Are Looking For
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and attitudes:
- A master degree in computer science, AI, or a closely related discipline. Please note that this is a university requirement.
- A strong background in computer science and mathematics.
- A scientific attitude and the ability to reason through problems.
- Excellent programming skills.
- A strong interest in artificial intelligence, machine learning and data mining and their applications (e.g., bio-, chemo- and medical informatics, robotics, vision, natural language processing, engineering, mechatronics, etc.)
- The ability to communicate written and orally in English in a clear and precise manner.
- A pro-active and independent attitude as well as the ability to function well in a team environment.
- A good motivation for pursuing a Ph.D. and working in Leuven.
Please email the following information to: apply-ml at cs dot kuleuven dot be:
- An academic CV.
- An official transcript listing classes taken and grades received.
- A short statement (maximum of 2 pages) that explains what your research interests are and why you would like to come to KU Leuven.
- A copy of your most recent thesis. If it is not written in English or Dutch please include an English translation of the abstract.
- Any published and relevant research papers (in English, preferably PDF format). If you have several papers, please indicate which ones you consider the three most important ones.
- A list of references.
Application Review Process
After receiving your application, we will take the following steps:
- We will review all incoming applications and will contact you within a month.
- If we think there is a possible match, we will schedule a phone or skype interview. We may also give an additional assignment as part of the evaluation process.
- After the interview, the group will have a discussion and we will come to a decision.